Candle Safety

House-warming candles, left unmanaged, can lead to dangerous fires.
Candles are a great way to make a house feel like home, but if left unattended, they can have devastating effects.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, candles cause an estimated 15,600 fires in homes each year. Over half of those fires start because the candle is too close to combustible material and one in 10 are related to the homeowner falling asleep while the candle is lit.
Thankfully, most candle-related fires can be prevented. Here’s what to know (courtesy of the U.S. Fire Administration):
• Avoid using lighted candles.
If you do use candles, ensure
• they are in sturdy metal, glass, or ceramic holders and placed where they cannot be easily knocked down.
• Keep candles out of the reach of children and away from pets.
• Set a good example by using matches, lighters and fire carefully.
• Children should never be allowed to play with matches, lighters or candles.
• Never put candles on a Christmas tree.
• Never leave the house with candles burning.
• Extinguish candles after use.
• Establish a fire-safe home, especially a safe sleeping environment.
• Never leave burning candles unattended.

To find out whether you have sufficient coverage, we recommend you contact Hubbard Insurance Agency so that we can have a Rocky River personal home insurance agent meet with you at a time and place that works with your schedule. You are under no obligation to retain coverage through Hubbard Insurance Agency, but you can count on our friendly team to do everything we can to help you obtain the maximum amount of coverage at the lowest possible rate. Call a Rocky River personal home insurance agent today.

 

May 9th, 2016 by Hubbard Insurance Agency